I wrote a blog about a S’more Bar recipe almost two years ago which was delicious but a little fussy – it called to pre-bake a crust, there was some simmering, I had to go to the store for heavy cream. So while delicious, it required a few more dishes and extra steps than my new blast from the past – part Rice Krispie treat, part S’more dessert decadence. While most of my recipes are a take on something I had while growing up, these S’more bars must have passed me by when I wasn’t looking, because I would have remembered sampling them at a bake sale or sleepover. Golden Grahams cereal tastes like the early 1980′s to me, and as an adult it continues to amaze me that something so sweet can be disguised as a breakfast cereal! Perfect for a crowd pleasing, quick and easy treat, however.
S’more Bars Part Deux
- 1 bag (10.5 oz) miniature marshmallows (5½ cups), divided
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 box (13 oz) Golden Grahams cereal (8 cups)
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray a 13×9-inch pan. Reserve 1 cup of the marshmallows. In a large saucepan, melt the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup and remaining marshmallows over low heat. Stir until completely melted. Remove from heat; stir in salt and vanilla.
- Pour cereal into saucepan. Stir until coated with the melted chocolate mixture. Stir in remaining 1 cup marshmallows.
- With buttered back of spoon (or hands), quickly press mixture in pan. Cool at least 1 hour or until firm. Store covered at room temperature.