I love cooking spray since it’s got virtually no calories, is so easy to use and when I spray it in my pan or on my grill before I begin cooking, I have so much fun making designs or writing my name which gives me that, je ne sais quoi, I can cook attitude. But, what I’ve also discovered is that cooking spray is a terrific DIY multi-tasker that can save you time, money and your manicure so grab a can, say PAM I AM and take aim!
- DE-CHOPPER: Chop chop that garlic and stick stick stick both the garlic and its gluey residue! Spray spray spray that knife and away way way that garlic and its gluey residue will go so you can continue to chop, chop!
- DE-GRATER: My son loves to grate cheese but of course leaves the cleaning of the grater to me! Not good for my mani! Coat the grater with non-stick cooking oil and it will both make the grating and cleaning easier and preserve that Frenchie you just got!
- DE-STAINER: I love to freeze leftovers particularly pasta with red sauce (store-bought of course!!) but I find it stains the plastic containers I put it in. Not anymore! Just spray the container before you put in your yummy extras and you won’t be seeing red until you microwave and serve!
- DE-WAXER: Love the romantic glow those candles give but grrrrr that dripping wax! First tip: buy dripless candles!! But for those of you who can’t find them, lightly spray the candle stick with cooking spray and the wax won’t stick. I also put some in the holder so the remnants come out as easy as 1, 2, 3
- DE-SQUEAKER: Hate hearing that creak every time you open your front door? Simply squirt it with your handy dandy can of cooking spray and squeak be gone! Be sure to wipe away any drips!
- DE-STICKER: Your child complaining his bicycle chain’s not shifting so easily? Then give it a couple of sprays and wipe away excess. It will also work if your keys keep getting stuck in your door lock! And in the frigid winter months to prevent your locks from freezing over, spray some on the lock!
- DE-GRASSER: Mowing and half of it staying on your lawnmower? Next time before you mow, spritz some on the blades and under carriage and see how ‘rollin’ in the grass is a gas’ vs. a clogger!
- DE-BUGGER: Got dead bugs wall papering your car bumpers and grills? Get rid of them by spraying some on a clean cloth and rub those little dead buggers away…plus it’ll give your car a nice shine- I even put some on my tires and wheels which also prevents the tire dust from building up!
Julie Edelman aka The Accidental Housewife is the go to gal for easy; real life time, money, and energy saving tips that maintain our home, family and manicure. She appears regularly on the Today Show with Kathie Lee ‘n Hoda, Rachael Ray, and The Doctors. She is a New York Times best-selling author and her next tome for the home:The Ultimate Accidental Housewife: Your Guide to a Clean Enough House is the sanity saving editor for Beautiful Design Made Simple Magazine; has a webisode series for Fox News Magazine, and hosts her site Julie’s Tips with her goal to empower, educate and engage fellow housewives along with a daily sanity saving libation.