Last minute lady

For thyroid sufferers, can healthy be harmful?

A fellow hypothyroid sufferer was telling me that her nutritionist advised her against eating raw, green leafy veggies.  Everything I had learned about healthy eating suddenly seemed challenged as I ran home to Google what the heck she was talking about.  If you have been following my blog, you know that I have been writing about my recent diagnosis of hypothyroidism and my quest to feel like a human being again.  I am taking a generic form of Synthroid, but am still struggling to find my energy, so I have decided to learn all I can about the foods that can affect the thyroid and its ability to produce hormones properly.

I’ll start by saying that a dr from The Mayo Clinic says to disregard this information and to take your medicine regularly and to listen to your doctor.  In stark contrast, there are people who believe that medication is not the answer and will only make the problem worse, forcing you to depend on the medicine for the rest of your life.  There are also natural stimulants that are made from pig hormones that some people feel is more effective, but others claim is inconsistent, obviously, because it is relying on another animal’s hormonal make up.

Regarding the food, what I found repeatedly is that in fact raw, green leafy veggies like kale, arugula, broccoli and collard greens are not good for someone with my condition.  I had just trained myself to love adding a few leaves of fresh kale into my smoothies or to eat a kale salad for lunch.  Could this be hurting me?  I may have imagined this, but it did seem like recently after I ingested a huge raw kale salad, I was exhausted.  I mean, I really was, but could it be the salad? I have also read that these same veggies cooked do not offer the same problems.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter of diet and thyroid?  What works and what doesn’t?

Rosemary Maggiore is our Last Minute Lady. A single mom of two kids plus a full time job (she runs this website!) keep her busy and usually pushing things to the last minute. Somehow she manages to keep her cool and her sanity while she enjoys good food, wine, friends and most importantly, family.

For more Ro, see:

Mom Talk

Follow me on Twitter at @roemaggiore or on Instagram at #romaggiore

6 Responses to “For thyroid sufferers, can healthy be harmful?”

1. Roseanne says:

I found the information in Eat Right 4 Your Type by Dr. Peter J D’Adamo to be very interesting and educational. Its an individualized diet solution based on blood type. If you are blood type O, you may find the information on thyroid function to be beneficial.

2. Joanie says:

I can only share my experience with you. Quite honestly this article really takes me back to over a year ago when I thought Synthroid was my only hope for any ounce of energy. Most doctors are going to offer you a pill over any real solution to the issue. And some people are more than happy to take synthetic pills their entire life. For me, I’ve been on a one-year journey to change my health and throw out my bad eating habits. I was a burger and fries and chocolate milkshake kind of gal :) Until I heard of Dr. Aukerman and his book, The Wee Protocol. He discusses a lot, but mainly for me, the damage that Gluten does to our body, and yes, our Thyroid. He ran an enormous amount of bloodwork on me to get a picture of all my levels (27 vials of blood). I’ll spare all the details, except my Thyroid. I had been on Synthroid for over two years at this point and feeling pretty good. However my Thyroid Peroxidase Ab (TPO) test came back with my Thyroid at 532 iu/mL (normal range is 0-34). Short story- I stopped eating Gluten immediately (as my integrative med doctor recommended). Started taking supplements, besides the gluten damage, the lack of magnesium and other needed minerals, etc… can cause damage. Four times a day, I take magnesium, calcium, D3, fish oil (high dose) B100 and cinnamon. After one year, I retested my Thyroid TPO is now 108 iu/mL. Still not within range but what a dramatic drop! I took myself off my Synthroid in January and have never felt better! I heard that once you have Thyroid damage it cannot be reversed (told by DRs) I am proof that this is not the truth! Recently have taken my healthy lifestyle one step further and started juicing Kale and other dark leafy vegetables, along with all the colors of the rainbow vegetables and fruit. I feel fantastic and have even starting naturally losing weight (side benefit). Watching inspirational videos that I found on Netflix has helped and provided a great deal of information that the medical community does not want you to know and they push it aside as nonsense. Videos to watch are Food Matters, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. Another inspirational person I came across an amazing young women diagnosed with a rare cancer. Dr told her she would need to amputate her arms, she turned to The Gerson Therapy of juicing and other regimens, and cured herself of cancer (and kept her arms!). Good wholesome, natural, organic, food from mother nature can do wonders! Check it out. Thanks for letting me blog right back at ya! :) Take care, Joanie =^-^=

3. Trudy McCann says:

Hi, I Love your show Rachael!
    Dulse Seaweed is also something to look into, get the stats you will be amazed! I get it ‘Wild-crafted’ from Maine. I buy 5 pounds at a time, and put it in Gallon glass jugs, far more affordable than the Health Food Store Prices. Usually not available until August, as it is a ‘Sea Vegetable’; it last me for several years. Also, a lot of sea salt does not have any Iodine in it! Your Thyroid needs that, it is a lubricant for the system. You should take an Epsom Salts bath three times a week, Jethro Kloss, recommends it in his ancient book “Back to Eden”. Epsom Salts, you say? Yes, it contains magnesium, and the skin our largest Organ, will absorb it like a thirsty sponge. I know it works. I bet you will see profound changes in your Thyroid readings, you can also add baking soda, food grade Hydrogen Peroxide for other health and skin issues. Dr. Andrew Weil has an excellent website, and he also has some good ideas on this problem. Remember, “You are what you eat!” Too many Americans are eating crap, that doesn’t even begin to pass for food. Then they get their Spiritual Temple out of balance and wonder why? Why I cannot sleep? Have no energy, leg cramps, diabetes, and a plethora of other issues… Duh!!!
    Another new product that I take (I do not have Thyroid issues that I know of), is “Thyroid Balance” created by Dr. Titus Vanessa, Phd., Sc.D, in Orlando, FL. It too contains Dulse, Magnesium, and about 20 other synergistic vitamins, minerals, and herbs.
    Please let me know what you think…
    I have been doing this kind of self care for over 40 years, I am, 65+. I do not take any pharmaceuticals at all, I have a glass of red wine every night, or two, whether I need it or not. I usually do, I am a Full-time Realtor in FL.
    Cheers, God Bless. Trudy

4. shirley goodwin says:

OMG….. Can’t believe what u wrote about thyroid. I take synthroid as I had mine removed. I feel like death warmed over. I have been studying trying trying to get my life back. The MD have no answers, so who does?. Im tired all the tired, my body is falling apart, I eat correctly. Thanks for info.

5. Holly says:

Check out coconut oil. U can take up to 1/4 cup a day of the raw yummy stuff to support thyroid health. And for greens…hands down vita mineral green. Powder and capsules. Top notch the whole way. Even tastes nice in a smoothie. My kids drink it!

6. Jane says:

Disclaimer: My experience is with Hashimoto’s specifically, but I think these things could be good for general hypothyroidism as well.

My personal experience is that it’s not about eating some magic food that makes you feel better – it’s about cutting out the stuff that makes you worse. What has worked for me is both easy to explain and difficult to commit to:

* No grains (so, NO: wheat, corn, rice, quinoa, etc.)
    * No sweeteners, except MAYBE stevia, and I’ve heard okay things about xylitol (so, NO: sugar, syrups, agave nectar, evaporated cane juice, etc. Also, juices in general just have too much sugar content).

That’s it. Following these guidelines diligently, my thyroid condition began to reverse itself after sixteen years on armor thyroid. And now that my body is clear of these things, if I sample them, I can actually feel the negative effects. Makes it easier to stay on the right track. Of course, that’s my personal experience and I’m sure results may vary, but worth a try for a chance at healing, right?

As far as leafy greens go, I eat Romaine lettuce daily and I’ve never had a problem with it. My suggestion to any thyroid sufferers: Try eating Paleo for a month. There are a ton of resources out there for it.