Evette

Cut the snacks! Make healthy Kale Chips & Hummus!

Recently I have felt chunky, really chunky. And listen, I am not saying that I think I am fat, or that I have a weight problem, I still manage to squeeze into a size 4 or 6 pant, but I can’t wear dresses without spanks, and a nice, clean, form fitting white T-shirt shows a small canyon in my mid section like I was the Pillsbury Dough Boy that someone took poking liberties with.

I have decided that this summer I am going to do something about it! I would love to lose 15 pounds, but I would gladly take, 10, 5, heck I would even take 2. So the first dietary change that I am making is getting rid of the salty, carb-y snacks and introducing some protein packed tasties. So I decided to try my hand at kale chips, I first saw them at my local health food store. I really dig kale, in salads, steamed, even grilled, but I have never tried to make chips out of them! So after much trial and error here is a simple (and easy way) way to make kale chips. Paired with one of my favorites, hummus, this is a protein packed snack that is easy and delicious. Try it and let me know what you think!

Kale Chips

Bushel of Kale
Olive oil, as needed
Salt to taste

1. Wash kale. Dry in salad spinner. Dry thoroughly otherwise kale will cook unevenly in oven – resulting in some burnt and some undercooked parts.

2. Cut stems off kale and discard.

3. Cut kale leaves into small pieces the size of regular chips.

4.. In a bowl, drizzle enough olive to gently coat leaves (probably no more than 2-3 tbsp). Do not over-pour oil or chips will come out too oily. Using gloves, rub the oil into each leaf with your hands. Add salt. Sample a leaf to make sure you can taste the salt. Should be noticeably salty.
5. Place kale chips onto half sheet tray equal distance from each other. Avoid overcrowding – better to cook in batches, as needed.

6. Cook at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. Check after 7-8 minutes, and rotate half sheet tray to cook evenly.

6. Chips are done when they are dry like a chip – some may be a little darker in color but most should retain their original green color. Set aside.

Creamy Hummus

1 1/2 cans of cooked chickpeas (1 can = 15 oz.) Label on can should read chickpeas, salt, & water only.
1/4 cup water from chickpeas
1-2 stalks of green onions
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tbsp olive oil (garnish)
2 tbsp chopped parsley (garnish)
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of red pepper
1/3-1/2 cup of tahini

1. Remove shells* of chickpeas. They come off easily. Set aside and reserve a small handful chickpeas to use as garnish. Reserve water from chickpeas. *Removing the shells results in a really creamy hummus. This step takes a little while but is so worth it!

2. Coarsely chop green onions and garlic. Add to chickpeas.

3. Add tahini, salt, cumin, lemon juice, red pepper, & water. [insert photo of tahini bottle]

4. Pulse in food processor for a second, then puree for about 2-3 minutes or until creamy. There shouldn’t be any lumps. Texture should be consistently smooth throughout.

5. Garnish with chopped parsley, olive oil*, and chickpeas.

*Using a high-quality olive oil is essential. An easy tricky to identifying quality olive oil is picking a dark-colored bottle. This is because good olive oil should not be exposed to light.

6. Add hummus to kale chips and enjoy a protein-rich snack!

is a Puerto Rican lifestyle expert, writer, television host and native New Yorker. She is one of the stars of ABC’s The Chew, where she serves as field correspondent and roving reporter, covering events and dishing on new ways of using ordinary household items. She has also been a contributing design expert on Rachael Ray, where she’s known for hands-on advice, innovative crafts and dramatic room revisions. She is also National Spokesperson for Goodwill International. Learn more about Evette at http://evetterios.com.

Find Evette on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest

10 Responses to “Cut the snacks! Make healthy Kale Chips & Hummus!”

1. [...] Cut the snacks! Make healthy Kale Chips & Hummus! [...]

2. Sheesh says:

A size 4 should not be trying to lose 15 pounds. I sincerely hope you get help if you have an eating disorder or serious body or self-esteem issue. It is extremely unhelpful to write so extensively about your weight, especially for the many masses of people reading the Rachel Ray blogs who struggle with obesity or serious health problems.

3. Anne says:

That kind of comment is incredibly biased Sheesh. People who are petite and fit into a size 4 can still be packing on the weight. Petite doesn’t mean slim, just physically smaller than the average person. For some people that small they are overweight for their size. I know my healthy weight for my size is 38kg since I’m so petite; generally shorter than most 12 year olds these days. And I’m 30 years old. Try keeping an open mind before making baseless, derogatory and unintelligent comments next time.

4. janel says:

I agree with Anne about that Sheesh – it all depends on body type. And it never hurts to switch from unhealthy snacks to healthy ones – small doesn’t always equate healthy, just like big doesn’t always mean unhealthy. Also, if you noticed she said she would even be happy losing 2 pounds, clearly she is not bent on losing pounds, just feeling healthier.

To Evette: I tried salting the kale before putting it in the oven, but didnt like it as much (maybe it was just a bad batch) you tried salting them after? Thoughts?
    Also, I make one (complete) layer of kale on my sheet – pretty much all touching each other and have never found a problem with this, just an option! I hate waiting for 3-4 batches to be done!

5. Denise Douthart says:

I have grown kale for the 1st time in my garden &wow what a blessing I cut it back 5xs now and was able to supply my family & co-workrs with a healthy treat. My self I use kale in smootheys. Just blend up in a blender,frozen or fresh fruit then add 2 leafs of kale stripped off stem.Then add a bit of fluid (fruit juice ,1/2 fresh squeezed lemon ). & plain nonfat yogurt & blend. Yummy liquid drink .
    Enjoy ,Denise from Jim Thorp Pa

6. I write a leave a response when I like a post on a site
    or I have something to contribute to the conversation.
    Usually it is a result of the sincerness displayed in the post I looked
    at. And on this post Rachael Ray Blogs: Cut the snacks!
    Make healthy Kale Chips & Hummus!. I was excited enough to drop a leave a responsea response
    ;-) I do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind.
    Could it be only me or does it seem like some of the comments come across like coming from brain dead
    people? :-P And, if you are posting at other online sites, I would like to follow everything new you have to post.
    Would you list all of your shared sites like your twitter
    feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

7. Bean says:

I am making these right now. Do not have hummus, yet, but while they are quite tasty, I can tell you now they will NOT dip into ANYTHING unless it’s something liquid because they were flake apart. I have my second batch in now and put it in for 8 mins instead of 10 like the first to see if there is a difference but the first batch is VERY very fragile. They break when touching them so not clue how they’d work for dipping into something as dense as hummus.

8. Jocelyne says:

HI, just tried making these.., I found them way toooo salty and I think i would salt them once they are on the pan and as Bean says 8 minutes would do as they are very fragile, too fragile to dip with , ill use them as a salad topper.
    I will try making these again though :)

9. April says:

Any tips on how to make these come out not so fragile? I find I can’t dip them into anything as they fall apart