Greek yogurt is definitely all the rage and with good reason. High in protein, calcium and vitamin D12, with a thick and creamy consistency – even the fat-free version! – Greek yogurt tastes like anything but “diet” food. A go-to delicious breakfast on many healthy eating plans is a cup of greek yogurt with some berries, chopped nuts, and maybe a sprinkling of granola for crunch.
There are many other delicious ways to include Greek yogurt in your diet beyond breakfast – whatever the swap, you will never miss the original.
Here are 6 easy and delicious ways to incorporate Greek yogurt into your next meal:
1. Chili Topper: Calm even the spiciest chili when you swap in yogurt for the typical sour cream topper.
2. Baked Potato Partner: Top your baked spuds with a dollop of yogurt. Add some chopped scallions or chives – or both – for some added flavor. Baked potatoes not your jam? Change up your mashed potatoes by adding Greek yogurt to lighten them up (like these Blue Cheese Ranch Mashed Potatoes) in place of some of the butter and/or sour cream.
3. Salmon Saucer: Mix up some yogurt, lemon, mustard, dill, salt, and pepper for a fantastic salmon – or any fish – sauce.
4. Taco Bar Staple: The next time you set up your family’s favorite taco bar – tortillas; sautéed turkey, chicken, and/or ground beef; shredded lettuce; chopped tomatoes; shredded cheese; and avocado are all tasty fixings – swap in a bowl of yogurt for sour cream.
5. Baking Go-To: Greek yogurt is an easy replacement for sour cream when baking your favorite muffins, coffee cakes, and even cheesecakes. It adds a tang and creaminess that actually enhances most recipes. Try Jumbo Coffee Cake Muffins or Berry Cobbler Pie Bars and you’ll be a believer.
6. Guilt-Free Dipper: Sour cream is the star of many creamy, cheesy dips. Swap in yogurt for some or all of the sour cream for guilt-free snacking. Try a quick and easy homemade ranch dressing by combining 1 cup of Greek yogurt, juice of 1/2 a lemon, a clove of minced garlic, a few tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs, and salt and pepper. Dip raw veggies (or even Buffalo-Style Cauliflower!) to your heart’s delight.