- 1⁄2 pound orzo pasta
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green olive tapenade
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons, divided
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 1⁄2 pounds firm, white-fleshed fish such as halibut or swordfish, cut into 12 2-inch chunks
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 12 2-inch chunks
- Black pepper
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 English (seedless) cucumber, diced
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet for 3-4 minutes
- 8 Greek hot peppers
Pre-heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the orzo and cook to al dente. While the pasta works, in a small bowl, combine the garlic, oregano, rosemary, olive tapenade, red pepper flakes, one tablespoon of the lemon zest and the juice of one lemon with about 1⁄3 cup EVOO.
Place the fish and chicken in separate shallow dishes or bowls and season with salt and pepper. Divide the dressing between the bowls and turn the fish and chicken to coat evenly. Skewer the fish and chicken on metal skewers. Grill the fish for 6-8 minutes and the chicken for 10-12 minutes, or until firm and the juices run clear, turning the kebabs frequently.
Drain the orzo and combine in a mixing bowl with the onion, parsley, feta, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, pine nuts, the juice of the remaining one lemon, 1⁄4 cup EVOO and salt and pepper. Serve the orzo salad with three pieces each of chicken and fish alongside.
Garnish each plate with a couple of hot peppers.