- 3 tablespoons EVOO, divided
- 8 chicken sausages, casings pierced, any variety
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- About 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, to taste
- 1 medium yellow or red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans butter beans (15 ounces each), drained
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning blend, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
Place the sausages in a skillet in 1 inch of water with 1 tablespoon EVOO and bring to a boil. Let the sausages cook uncovered over medium-high heat until liquid evaporates and casings crisp up, 10-15 minutes.
Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer, salt it and add cauliflower. Cook until tender, 10 minutes.
In a medium saucepot, melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in milk and bring to a bubble. Thicken milk until it coats the back of a spoon, 5-6 minutes, then stir in cheese in a figure-eight pattern with a wooden spoon. Season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste.
Heat a medium skillet over medium to medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons EVOO. When EVOO is hot, add onion and garlic and cook for 6-7 minutes. Add in the beans and warm through. Combine sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and grill seasoning in a small bowl, then stir into the beans and combine. Simmer 5 minutes more.
Drain cauliflower and add to the cheese sauce to combine.
Serve two links of sausage with some beans and cheddar cauliflower alongside.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.