- 1 pound macaroni
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, pork and veal, combined
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup shredded carrots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly snipped chives
- 4 radishes, finely chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped cornichons or baby gherkin pickles, for garnish
Bring the water to a boil for the macaroni. Salt the water, then cook the pasta to al dente.
While the water comes to a boil and the pasta cooks, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, in a large, deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
Add the meat and season with paprika, salt and pepper. Brown and crumble the meat for 5 minutes, then add the bay leaf, carrots, onion, celery and pepper and cook for 10 minutes more.
Add the tomato sauce and stock and heat through, about 2 minutes. Adjust the seasonings and stir in the sour cream, dill and parsley.
Drain the macaroni and toss with the meat sauce. Garnish the goulash with chives, chopped radishes and pickles.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.