- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 1/4 pounds green beans, trimmed of stem ends
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta
- 1/4 pound chorizo or other spicy sausage, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, deveined
- 1 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 cup grated or shredded Manchego cheese or other tangy white cheese
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the orzo pasta.
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
When the oven is hot, pile the green beans on a cookie sheet, coat with 2 tablespoons EVOO, then season with salt and pepper. Roast 15 minutes until brown at edges and tender.
When water comes to a boil, salt it and cook the orzo to al dente.
Heat a tablespoon of EVOO in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo to pan and render it for 1 minute, then add the onions, peppers and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes, then season shrimp with smoked paprika or sweet paprika and toss into pan.
Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes until shrimp are pink and firm.
Drain pasta and place in a medium bowl. Stir in the cheese and parsley to evenly coat the orzo.
Serve the shrimp alongside the orzo and roasted green beans.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.