- 1 small potato
- 2 whole wheat bagels
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 8 eggs, beaten with a splash of water or you can do 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites – it’s that moderation thing in action
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, sliced or crumbled
Poke potatoes with a fork in a few places and microwave for 5-6 minutes. Cool to handle, peel and chop.
Pre-heat broiler to high. Place rack in center of the oven.
Cut the bagels in half across the circumference. With your fingers, remove the guts from each of the four halves, making them into bagel baskets. Place the bagels under the broiler or in the toaster oven and toast up until golden, 2-3 minutes. Remove and reserve.
While the bagels are toasting, pre-heat a medium size nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the onion, pepper and Canadian bacon and cook, stirring every now and then, for 2-3 minutes or until the onion starts to get tender. Add the chopped potato, salt and some freshly ground black pepper to taste, cook for about a minute more, then add the chopped tomato. Stir to combine, then add the beaten eggs.
Scramble the eggs but keep them a little on the loose side. Fill the bagel baskets with the eggs, top with cheese crumbles and place under the broiler to melt the cheese.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.