- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin (half a palmful)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small zucchini, trimmed of ends, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into half moons
- 1 can sliced green chilies (4 ounces), drained
- 1 box frozen corn kernels (10 ounces)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley leaves, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 bag multi-grain tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper Jack or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, cut in half, pit removed, flesh removed and chopped
Pre-heat the oven 375ºF.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan EVOO, about two tablespoons. Brown and crumble the ground turkey for 3-4 minutes and season with chili powder and cumin. Add onion, garlic, carrot and zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stir in chilies, corn and beans, then heat through and adjust seasoning.
Stir in chicken stock and cook for 1-2 minutes more, remove from heat, then stir in cilantro, 1 teaspoon lime zest and the juice of the lime.
Arrange a third of the bag of chips on a baking sheet with edges, top with a third of the turkey-vegetable mixture and a third of the cheese. Repeat two more times, ending with the cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes.
Top with tomatoes and chopped avocado garnish and serve. That’s right. You are about to sit down and have nachos for dinner!
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.