- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pound sack sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup beer or apple cider
- 1/4 cup spicy brown grainy mustard
- 2 sticks or 1 long folded link kielbasa or turkey kielbasa, 1 1/4 pounds
- 1/4 stick butter, softened
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- 8 slices Emmentaler or other Swiss cheese, deli sliced
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper relish
Preheat a griddle pan to medium-high.heat.
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Toast the seeds a couple of minutes then stir in sauerkraut, beer or cider, and mustard and simmer 10 minutes.
Cut kielbasa into 4 portions and split the sausage pieces in half across, opening them up. Grill the sausages on the hot griddle until crispy on both sides, about 7-8 minutes total. Wipe some of the grease off the griddle and drop heat to low.
Lightly butter 1 side of each slice of bread. Build butter-side-out sandwiches of grilled kielbasa, sauerkraut, and 2 slices of cheese; spread the top of each sandwich with red pepper relish before setting in place.
Grill the sandwiches on the griddle until crispy. Cut and serve.