- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika, (a couple of palmfuls)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 pimiento peppers or 1 roasted red pepper, patted dry and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill leaves
Heat a couple of inches of oil in a deep pot over medium to medium-high heat. The oil, 6 cups or so, will take 10 minutes or so to heat evenly. To test, a piece of bread dropped into oil should brown in a count of 20 or bubbles should form on the handle of a wooden spoon inserted into oil.
Separate and toss the rings in buttermilk. Combine flour, cornmeal, spices, and salt on the plate. Toss 1/3 of the rings in the breading at a time and coat evenly. Fry 3-4 minutes until deep golden. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat.
Combine the sour cream with peppers and dill in food processor and process until a smooth sauce forms. Transfer to a dish for dipping. Surround with O rings and serve.