- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 slices white bread, crust removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
1 can stewed diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- Blue corn tortilla chips
Place the peppers in a food processor and puree. Add the sugar, jalapeño, bread, garlic, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Process until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of water to thin the soup, if necessary. Pulse in the vinegar and EVOO. Season with salt, to taste.
Serve immediately or chill. Garnish the cups of soup with chopped red onion and pass the blue corn chips for dipping into the soup at the table.