- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound store-bought trimmed fresh green beans or a mix of yellow wax beans and green beans, coarsely chopped on an angle
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco brand
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin or sirloin tips, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 pound mushroom caps, crimini or white, brushed clean and halved
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry Spanish sherry
- 1/2 cup beef stock
Heat a saucepot over medium heat. Add butter to the pot and melt it. Add almonds and toast for 3-4 minutes. Add rice and the zest of the orange and lemon, turn the rice to coat, then cook for 1 minute. Add stock and bring to boil; reduce to simmer, then cover and cook for 17-18 minutes.
Add one inch of water to a medium skillet and bring to simmer. Liberally salt the water. Add the beans and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water.
Whisk the juice of the orange and the lemon together with hot sauce in the bottom of a shallow bowl, then stream in about 3 tablespoons of EVOO. Add beans and toss to coat. Season the beans with salt and pepper, to taste.
Heat a large, shallow skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of EVOO, one turn of the pan. Pat meat dry. When EVOO ripples and begins to smoke, add beef and brown for 3 minutes on each side. Remove when beef is evenly deep brown and reserve on a plate.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO to a skillet, two turns of the pan. Heat until EVOO ripples, then add mushrooms and brown for 7-8 minutes. Add garlic after a few minutes. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper. Add sherry, reduce for 1 minute, then add beef stock and beef tips and their natural juices back to pan. Reduce heat and cook 3-4 minutes more. Turn off heat.
Fluff rice with fork.
Serve beef and mushrooms over rice with beans alongside.