- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (half a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (half a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder (half a palmful)
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley (about a palmful), chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (about a palmful), chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (about a palmful), chopped
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Mix the breadcrumbs, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder in a shallow dish. Season the chicken pieces liberally with salt and pepper and toss in crumbs to coat. Place the coated chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cooked through.
In a bowl, mix together the buttermilk, lemon juice, garlic, hot sauce, parsley, dill and chives. Season the dressing with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Refrigerate and reserve.
When you are ready to eat, use a vegetable peeler to make long, thin ribbons of your cucumber, carrots and celery. Combine the tomatoes and lettuce in a salad bowl and toss with peeled vegetables and half of the dressing.
Serve chicken with salad alongside and pass the remaining dressing to dab on chicken.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.