- 2 packages chicken sausages, any flavors, such as sundried tomato or garlic
- 2 cups water (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 hot red cherry peppers, chopped
- A splash of hot pepper juice
1 box corn muffin mix (8 1/2 ounces), such as Jiffy brand
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 4 slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
Pre-heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Prick the sausages with a fork and place in a large skillet, then add 1 inch of water to the pan. Add 2 tablespoons EVOO to the pan, then bring the water up to a boil then reduce the heat to medium. Let the sausages cook until the liquid evaporates, 10 minutes.
Work on the corn cakes (see below).
Move the sausages off to one side of the pan to allow the casings to crisp and brown. Add peppers to the other side of the pan, season with salt and pepper and let them cook until just tender. Add the hot peppers to the sweet peppers and combine; douse the pan with a splash of pepper juice, just before you serve them.
For the cakes, combine the muffin mix with the egg and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Heat it in the microwave on high for 15 seconds, then combine with the milk, rosemary, chopped prosciutto and a few grinds of black pepper.
Rub the griddle with remaining butter nested in a paper towel to lightly coat the cooking surface. Form six small cakes, 2-3 inches wide, and cook the cakes until golden on each side; repeat with remaining mixture.
Serve the sausages with the peppers on top and the cakes alongsside, drizzled with honey.