- 1 1 /2 pounds round steak (half-inch thick)
- 1 cup flour, divided, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/3 cup cornmeal (eyeball it)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt (1/3 of a palmful)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (eyeball it)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth or stock
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or cream
- 1 package bake-off biscuits, prepared according to package directions
Pre-heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
Set steaks onto a waxed paper-lined work surface and cover with another piece of waxed paper. Pound steaks to a quarter-inch thick. Pull steaks off work surface and set aside. Line work surface with more waxed paper. Pour 1/2 cup flour into two piles on opposite sides of the work space. Add cornmeal, paprika, salt and pepper to one pile of flour. Beat eggs and water in a pie plate or shallow dish.
Cut steaks into four portions and coat in flour, then eggs, and then seasoned flour and cornmeal.
Add 2 tablespoons oil, about two turns of the pan, to hot pan and cook two steaks at a time. Brown steaks about 2 minutes per side, or until cooked and remove from the pan. Add 2 tablespoons more oil and repeat with remaining two steaks. Remove steaks to serving platter and pour off all but 2-3 tablespoons of drippings.
Add 2 tablespoons flour to drippings and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and season with salt and pepper. Whisk half-and-half or cream into gravy. When gravy bubbles, remove from heat.
Serve steaks and warm biscuits with gravy on top.