- 2 pounds 1/2-inch thick shell steaks (3 large but very thin-cut steaks)
- 4 large cloves garlic, cracked from skins
- 5-6 sprigs fresh rosemary, stripped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 rounded tablespoon steak seasoning or salt and pepper such McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 2 large golden beets
- 1 bulb fresh fennel
- 1 heart romaine, chopped
- 1 bundle arugula, chopped
- 4 cups spinach, 1/2 a sack, chopped
- Olive Oil cooking spray, for grill or grill pan
- 1/2 pound ricotta salata, crumbled
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (1/3 palmful)
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) (eyeball it)
Let the steaks rest to take the chill off. Pre-heat a grill or a grill pan or large skillet to medium-high to high heat.
Chop the garlic, then finely chop herbs and mix together. Add lemon zest over the herb mixture and toss to combine. Add grill seasoning or salt and pepper to the pile and combine. Drizzle the steaks with EVOO and rub liberally with herb mixture on all sides.
Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a medium pan. Peel and slice the beets 1/2-3/4-inch thick. Simmer beets until just tender, 6-7 minutes. Drain beets, cold shock them. Pat the beets dry. Trim and slice the fennel into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
Combine the greens in a large shallow bowl or platter.
Spray grill or grill pan with cooking spray. Grill beets, fennel and steaks 2 minutes on each side until evenly marked. Meat should still be pink inside. Allow meat to rest a few minutes.
Whisk together the scallions, lemon juice, mustard, cumin and vinegar and stream in the EVOO. Dress and season the salad greens. Slice the veggies and scatter over salad. Crumble the cheese and arrange over vegetables. Serve the salad, then slice the steak very thin on an angle and arrange the meat over individual portions of salad and veggies.