- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, (eyeball it)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter, plus some to butter the iron
- Syrup, whipped cream or fresh fruits for topping, to pass at table
Pre-heat a waffle iron.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and brown sugar until fluffy, then beat in the pumpkin, milk, molasses and melted butter. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just moist. Do not overstir the waffle batter.
Brush the waffle iron with a little melted butter and cook four waffles, four sections each. Serve with toppings of your choice.