- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups enriched white rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 2/3 pounds ground sirloin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (2/3 palmful)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (a couple of handfuls)
Heat beef stock, water and butter to a full boil. Add rice, and then reduce heat and cover pot. Cook 20 minutes, until tender and liquids are absorbed.
Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, one turn of the pan, and beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown the meat for 2-3 minutes. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Cook together 5-7 minutes, until veggies are just tender. Add tomato sauce, cloves, cumin and parsley. Bring mixture up to a bubble and reduce heat to low.
Combine cooked rice with meat mixture and serve.