- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 large cloves garlic, 3 chopped or finely grated, 1 crushed
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts or a combo, cut up into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (a palmful)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander (half a palmful)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 package frozen corn (10 ounces), defrosted
- 2 handfuls yellow or white corn tortilla chips, crushed with your hands into small pieces
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a couple of handfuls), chopped
- 1 handful cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Place a medium saucepot over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the crushed garlic clove and the rice, then add some salt and pepper and stir to coat in the EVOO. Add 3 cups of chicken stock and bring up to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook until tender, about 18 minutes.
Once you have the rice going, place a large skillet over high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chicken and season with some salt, pepper, cumin and coriander. Spread the chicken out in an even layer and let it brown up for about 3-4 minutes. Give the chicken a stir, add the onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chipotle in adobo and the celery, stir to combine, then continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining 3 cups of chicken stock, corn and the crushed tortillas chips and bring up to a bubble. Add the black beans and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add the parsley, cilantro and chopped tomatoes and stir to combine.
Fluff the rice with a fork and remove and discard the garlic clove. Divide the rice between four shallow serving bowls. Top with some of the black beans and chicken mixture, sprinkle with some of the cheddar cheese and serve a lime wedge alongside each bowl.