- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage, such as maple sausage
- 8 large eggs
- A splash half-and-half or whole milk
- A few drops hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces cheddar (1/3 pound), diced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
Pre-heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO or vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan, add sausage and brown and crumble the meat, 5-6 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan and drain off some of the fat. Return pan to heat and reduce the temperature to medium low.
Whisk together the eggs, half-and-half or milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Scramble the eggs until soft, then add cheese and continue to scramble another minute or so to finish cooking eggs and to begin to melt the cheese bits. Remove pan from heat and combine sausage and eggs. Garnish servings of the eggs with a few pieces of diced fresh tomato. Serve plates of sausage scrambles with pancakes, or for a simple supper, serve with toasted whole grain bread, buttered and drizzled with honey.