- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 inches grated ginger root
- 4 cloves garlic, grated, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons plus some for drizzling extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut across in half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced or chopped into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced or chopped into 1/2-inch dice
- Hot banana pepper rings, drained and chopped plus 2 tablespoons juice
- A handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced, plus 1 lime, for garnish
- 4 pita breads
Pre-heat the oven to 500-550°F, as high as it goes.
Cover a baking sheet with foil and set a baking rack on top if you have one - not necessary but use it if you have it.
Place the yogurt in shallow dish and combine with ginger, 3 cloves grated garlic, chili powder, coriander, paprika, turmeric, cardamom, cumin and 2 tablespoons oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and coat in sauce. Arrange on baking sheet and roast 20-25 minutes until juices run clear.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 1 clove grated garlic. Pulse chop the chickpeas in food processor then add to garlic oil and season with salt and pepper. Mash with chicken stock and tahini and reduce heat to low.
Combine red onion, bell peppers, chopped hot peppers, to taste, 2 tablespoons hot pepper pickle juice, cilantro leaves, lime juice. Drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
Wedge the remaining lime, reserve.
Warm and crisp pitas in hot oven last few minutes chicken is roasting.
Serve chicken with lime wedges to squeeze over top. Serve mashed chickpeas alongside. Top the chicken with pepper salad. Cut pitas in half and pass at table.