- 3 cups chicken stock
- A pinch of saffron threads or 1 envelope saffron powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- A small handful of golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar Piquillo peppers (Spanish roasted peppers), drained well and sliced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped, divided
- A handful of sliced almonds, lightly toasted
Place chicken stock, saffron, turmeric, raisins and a tablespoon of EVOO in a saucepot and bring to a boil. Add rice, stir and cover the pot, then reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 18 minutes.
While the rice cooks, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper and cook for 6 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and reserve. Add the peppers to the pan and heat them through. Add the sherry to the pan and reduce for a minute or two. Add the butter and half of the parsley to the skillet, then turn off the heat and stir to melt the butter. Spoon the peppers and sauce over chicken.
Add the remaining parsley and almonds to the rice and fluff with fork. Serve rice alongside the chicken.