- 1 pound whole wheat rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- One can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 5 sprigs sage, leaves stripped and thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more to pass around the table
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat until rippling. Add the sausage, crumbling with a wooden spoon, and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a papertowel-lined plate to drain.
Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook over medium heat until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, 5 minutes; season with pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, beef broth and sage. Stir in the reserved sausage. Lower the heat and gently simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
To serve, toss the pasta with 2 cups ragu and 1 cup cheese. Mound portions in bowls and top with more sauce; pass extra cheese around the table.