- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- Two 6-ounce tuna steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 small bunch arugula, coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 3-4 pickled hot cherry peppers or pepperoncini, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 long baguette—split lengthwise, halved and ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup black or green olive tapenade, pesto or sun-dried tomato spread
Drizzle a little EVOO onto a grill pan or skillet and heat over medium-high heat until the pan smokes. Add the tuna and cook for 2 minutes on each side for rare or 4 minutes on each side for well done. Remove from the heat and let rest for 1 minute.
Chop the tuna into small chunks and place in a bowl. Add the arugula, celery, onion, peppers and capers. Add the lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO. Season with salt and pepper.
Toast the bread and dot with the tapenade. Pile the tuna salad on the bread bottoms and cover with the tops.