- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bottle Mexican beer
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco brand
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning blend, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large sour deli pickle, chopped
- 6-8 slices sweet bread and butter pickles, chopped
- 6 soft sammy buns (such as soft burger rolls), split
Bring the chicken stock and beer to a simmer in a small to medium skillet and then slide in the chicken breast meat. Gently poach the chicken 10 minutes, turning once after about 5 minutes.
While chicken poaches, heat a second medium skillet over medium-low heat. To the hot skillet, add EVOO, two turns of the pan, and garlic and onion. Gently sauté until chicken is ready to come out of poaching liquids. Combine the next five ingredients in a medium bowl and reserve.
When the chicken has cooked through, add two ladles of the cooking liquid to the bowl, combining with the sauces, spices, brown sugar and tomato paste. Once the liquids and seasonings are combined, remove chicken, slice it, and transfer to the medium bowl. Using two forks, shred the chicken and combine with the liquids. Add the shredded chicken to the onions and garlic and combine well. Simmer together 5-10 minutes, using extra cooking liquids to make your chicken as saucy as you like.
Combine sour and sweet pickles in a small bowl. Split rolls and fill with scoops of shredded chicken. Top with pickle relish and serve.