- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small head Savoy cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bottle beer (12 ounces)
- 4 cups chicken broth (32 ounces)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds corned beef, chopped
- 3/4 cup white rice
- Pumperknickel or rye bread and butter to pass around the table
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and bay leaf and cook for 3 minutes. Add the cabbage by the handful, season with salt and pepper and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the cabbage by the handful, season with salt and pepper and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the beer and boil until reduced, 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes and the 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Add the corned beef and rice. Bring the stoup to a boil, then simmer until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
Season with salt, pepper and more Worcestershire sauce; serve the stoup in shallow bowls. Pass the bread and butter around the table.