- 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 15 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 slices prosciutto (about 1/4 pound)
- 6 ounces fontina cheese, sliced or shredded
- Eight 1-inch thick slices semolina bread
- 2 cups heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
In a medium bowl, mix the veal, garlic and sage; season with salt and pepper. Form four patties, pressing your thumb in the center of each burger to prevent them from bulging while cooking.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the burger patties and cook through, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Top the burgers with the prosciutto and fontina. Cover the skillet to melt the cheese, about 3 minutes.
While the burgers cook, toast the bread and set aside.
In a medium bowl, dress the lettuce with the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO and the lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set each burger on a toasted bread slice; top with the romaine and another toasted bread slice.