- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 loaf stale French bread, cut into chunks
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 ounces)
- A 1-inch knob ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 to 3 cloves grated garlic
- A few dashes hot sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro (about a handful), chopped
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pound jumbo-sized or large shrimp, cleaned, deveined and tails removed
In a blender or food processor, combine the peanut butter, stale bread, coconut milk, ginger, garlic, hot sauce, cilantro, lime juice and zest, scallions, chicken stock, EVOO, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Puree the mixture until smooth and transfer to a medium skillet.
Place the skillet of sauce over medium-high heat and bring up to a simmer. Drop the shrimp into the sauce and simmer until cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Serve the shrimp and sauce warm in a dish with picks or forks.