- 4-5 cups farmhouse-style crusty bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, (1/3 palmful)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 McIntosh, Golden Delicious, Gala or Honey Crisp apples
- 2 onions, chopped into bite size pieces
- 6 ribs celery from the heart, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 pounds roast turkey breast, 3 slices - inch thick from the deli counter, cut into bite sized cubes
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apple cider
Heat the oven to 325 degrees F and scatter bread on baking sheet, season with poultry seasoning and bake to toast bread, 10-12 minutes.
Quarter the apples and slice into each quarter on an angle to cut away the core. Chop apples into bite size pieces.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 3 tablespoons butter, when the butter melts, add the apples, onions, celery, bay leaf and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, 7-8 minutes. Add turkey to the skillet and combine with vegetables, heat through 2-3 minutes then fold in bread and moisten with about 2 cups chicken stock.
While stuffing cooks, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a sauce pan over medium heat and whisk in flour, 1 minute, whisk in cider and chicken stock and season with salt and pepper to taste, reduce 4-5 minutes.
Serve stuffing doused with 1/2 cup gravy.