- 2 cloves garlic, 1 cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon zest plus the juice of 1 lemon
- One can quartered artichoke hearts, drained well and patted dry on paper towels (14 ounces)
- One can water-packed tuna, drained and flaked (12 ounces)
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 10 sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Freshly ground pepper
- Four 1-inch-thick slices of crusty bread
- 1 cup chopped arugula
- 1/2 pound Italian fontina cheese, sliced
Pre-heat the broiler.
In a large bowl, mash the whole garlic clove with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt until a paste forms. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until combined. Add the artichoke hearts, tuna, onion, celery, tomatoes and basil to the bowl and dress with 3 tablespoons of the EVOO (eyeball it). Mash the tuna salad with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place the bread slices on a broiler pan and char on both sides under the broiler. Rub one side of each slice with the cut garlic and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of EVOO. Divide the arugula and the tuna salad among the bread slices and top with the cheese. Return to the broiler and melt the cheese until bubbly, 1-2 minutes.