- 1 pound whole wheat penne
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry red wine
- One can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus more to pass around the table
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
While the pasta is working, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO , 4 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, peppers, carrot, garlic and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the wine and boil for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir the 1 cup cheese and half of the sauce into the pasta. Serve in shallow bowls, topped with the remaining sauce and the basil. Pass extra cheese at the table.