- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/3 pound raw Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 8 eggs, whisked together
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup regular or reduced fat sour cream
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chorizo to the pan and continue to cook until the chorizo begins to get crispy, 4-5 minutes. Add the torn tortillas to the pan and cook until crispy and golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Add the onion, jalapeño and garlic to the pan and cook until the veggies begin to get tender, 5-6 minutes.
Once the veggies are tender, add the eggs and hot sauce to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are close to your desired doneness. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and stir in the tomatoes, avocado, lime juice and cheese. Continue cooking until the eggs are finished scrambling. Portion the migas into serving bowls and top each with a dollop of sour cream.