- 2 cups baking mix, such as Bisquick, plus a little extra for the worktable
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 10 thin slices deli ham, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk, half-and-half or cream (whatever you put into your morning coffee)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Pre-heat an oven to 425ºF.
In a large mixing bowl combine the baking mix, sugar, chopped ham, about 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and the chives. In a small bowl, combine the egg and milk. Pull out about a teaspoon of the liquid in a small dish or coffee cup then add the remaining liquid to the bowl of dry ingredients. Give it a gentle stir with a fork or rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
Sprinkle a little bit of baking mix onto your worktable and turn the dough out onto it. Give it a quick knead, about 10 turns should do the trick. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet and use your hands to shape it into a round that is flat on top and about 8 inches across. Brush the reserved liquid over the top of the dough and top with the remaining cheese. Cut into 8 wedges with a long knife. Leave the wedges together, though, you'll break them apart after they've finished baking.
While the scones are baking, combine the softened butter and mustard in a medium-size mixing bowl. Set aside until the scones are ready.