- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce (15-ounce)
- 5 to 6 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves chopped
- 1 loaf peasant bread, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic—smashed, peeled and halved
Pre-heat the broiler. In a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, shallots and mushrooms and cook until tender, 7-8 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring a few times, until pink and almost firm, about 4 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the white wine, tomato sauce and tarragon and heat through for 1-2 minutes; remove from the heat.
Toast the bread slices under the broiler, rub with the garlic and drizzle with EVOO. Serve the shrimp and sauce in shallow bowls with hunks of the bread for mopping.