- Vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk, eyeball it
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, deveined
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal or bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning a couple of palm fulls (recommended: Old Bay)
- 4 soft club rolls or sub rolls, split
- 1 beefsteak tomato, thinly sliced
- 8 pieces Bibb or butter lettuce
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup spicy, grainy mustard
- Few drops hot sauce
Pre-heat 1-inch of oil in a deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
Beat egg and milk together. Pull tails off shrimp. Salt shrimp then soak in milk batter. Before you begin breading the shrimp, cover a plate with plastic wrap for easy clean up then mix together the flour, cornmeal or bread crumbs and seafood seasoning on the plate. Using tongs, remove a few shrimp at a time and coat in breading. Add breaded shrimp to the hot oil and fry them 5-6 minutes or until firm and deeply golden all over.
Pile lettuce and tomato on rolls and top with shrimp, douse the shrimp with a little lemon juice. Mix relish, mustard and hot sauce and dot the roll tops with spoonfuls of the sauce before setting into place.