- 2 pounds 1-inch-thick sirloin steak
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 sprigs oregano, stems discarded, leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 4 large pitas or other flatbread
- Toppings, such as thinly sliced cucumber, tomato and red onion; chopped chiles and kalamata olives; shredded romaine lettuce hearts; flat leaf parsley leaves
- 4 lemon wedges
Pre-heat the broiler or a grill to medium. Drizzle the steak with the EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, for medium-rare, 8-10 minutes. Let cool slightly, then thinly slice.
While the steak is cooking, using a food processor, puree the feta, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper; transfer to a bowl.
Char the pitas under the broiler or on the grill. Top with the steak and your choice of toppings. Serve with the lemon wedges and yogurt sauce.