- 2 green bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 red onion, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 pint red cherry tomatoes, your favorite kind
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), (eyeball it), plus extra for frying
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of 1/2, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning, like “Old Bay”
- 4 tilapia filets (about 6-8 ounces each)
- 1 cup thick Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons dill relish
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves (about a handful), chopped
- 1 package whole wheat pita, warmed in oven or microwave
Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
For the roasted veggie salad, toss together the peppers, red onion, tomatoes and olives on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until lightly brown and tender, about 15 minutes.
While the vegetables are cooking, put a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1/2 inch of EVOO in the bottom of the pan. Set up three dishes on the counter: Fill one with flour, one with the beaten eggs, and the last with breadcrumbs, lemon zest, oregano and seafood seasoning, mixed well.
Season the tilapia filets on both sides with salt and pepper, then dip them in the flour, then in the egg, and finally in the breadcrumb mixture.
Once the EVOO is hot, cook the tilapia until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side.
Once you have the fish working make the topping: In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, grated garlic, cumin and dill relish, and reserve.
In a large bowl. toss all the roasted vegetables together with the lemon juice. Top with crumbled feta and parsley. Serve tilapia topped with a little of the yogurt sauce and a wedge of lemon from the remaining half.
Serve the fish with the salad and a piece of warm pita bread alongside.