- 2 inches fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 2 1/2-3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (4 large potatoes)
- 1/4-1/3 cup cream
- 1-2 tablespoons wasabi paste - how hot do ya like it?!
- 4 scallions, root ends trimmed
- A handful of cilantro leaves
Pre-heat a grill pan or indoor/outdoor grill to high.
Combine the ginger, Tamari, lime juice, oil and grill seasoning in a large sealable plastic bag. Add the meat to marinade and coat evenly. Let stand 10 minutes, then grill the meat 6-7 minutes on each side.
Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, salt the potatoes and cook until tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain the potatoes and add them back to the hot pot. Smash the potatoes with a masher to desired consistency with the cream and wasabi. Adjust salt, to taste.
While the potatoes and meat cook, finely chop the scallions together with the cilantro and lime zest.
Let the meat rest for 5 minutes then thinly slice on an angle against the grain. Serve meat on mash potato mounds with a garnish with a generous sprinkling of the chopped scallion-cilantro-lime zest.