- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 2/3 palmful
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream or reduced fat sour cream
- A handful chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 package fresh gnocchi (12-14 ounces), in refrigerated section of grocery store
- 2 tablespoons chives
Heat the EVOO and butter in a large, deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken. Brown the meat 3-4 minutes, then push it off to the sides of the pan. Add mushrooms, garlic, onions and peppers to the center of the pan. Cook the vegetables five minutes, then mix them together with chicken and season with smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir in stock and tomato sauce and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook five minutes, then stir in sour cream and turn off heat. Add parsley. Adjust seasonings to your taste.
While chicken goulash cooks, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Salt boiling water and cook gnocchi until they puff up like pillows and float, about five minutes, or according to package suggestions. Drain gnocchi and add to chicken just after you stir in the sour cream.
Ladle goulash with gnocchi into shallow bowls and garnish with chives.