- 2 1/2 pounds red snapper fillet with skin, cut into 3-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning blend (such as Old Bay brand)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), 3 turns of the pan
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 jar flat anchovy fillets
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, 5-6 pieces (not in oil, available in produce department, packaged in pouches), coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock, available in paper containers on soup aisle
- A handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread, for serving
Season fish pieces with salt, pepper and seafood seasoning. Heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, red pepper flakes, garlic and anchovies. Melt anchovies into oil. Add snapper, skin side down and crisp the skin. Turn and brown the fish in oil 3 mintutes. Add wine and deglaze the pan (lift up drippings) then add sun-dried tomato pieces, capers and scallions and stir in chicken stock. Stir the stew/soup or "stoup" gently so you do not break up the fish. Bring the broth to a simmer and cook another 3-5 minutes to combine flavors.
Serve fish in shallow bowls with plenty of crazy broth. Garnish with parsley and pass plenty of crusty bread for dipping, dunking and mopping!