- 3 whole jalapeños
- 3 bell peppers, choose 3 different colors
- 2 1/2 pounds small potatoes, such as baby Yukon Gold or small red skin potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chipotle powder, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dark chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 large T-Bone steaks 1 1/2 inches thick, 2 1/2 pounds total
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 cup bourbon (eyeball it)
Seed and slice the hot and sweet fresh peppers and reserve.
Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add salt to boiling water. Cook potatoes until tender, 10-12 minutes. Chop and brown bacon in a small skillet and add a tablespoon of chipotle powder and onions. Cook 5 minutes over medium heat until onions are tender. When potatoes are tender, drain and return to hot pot. Add bacon mixture and sour cream to the potatoes. Smash potatoes and season with salt, to taste.
While potatoes are working, combine dry spice rub: chili powder, remaining chipotle powder, cumin and grill seasoning. Rub steaks liberally on both sides with the mixture. Heat a 12-14-inch skillet screaming hot. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, two turns of the pan. It will smoke. Add steaks and do not turn for 6 minutes. Flip and cook another 6 minutes for medium rare, up to 10 minutes for well done. Remove skillet from flame and add bourbon. Return steaks to stove and flame the pan. When the fire goes out, transfer the meat to a large serving platter and pour pan juices over the top. Let meat rest for juices to redistribute. Return pan to heat and add remaining tablespoon vegetable oil to the skillet. Add hot and sweet peppers to the pan and saute them for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pile peppers alongside steaks.
Remove meat from the T-bones and cut into four portions. Top with some peppers and pile some chipotle smashers along side. Spoon drippings and juices over meat and serve.