- 2 store bought, deep-dish pie crusts
- 2 tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 medium-large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- A mixture of greens-either 2 10-ounce packages of frozen, chopped spinach, or 2 bunches of kale, chopped or any combination of greens to equal 2 cups chopped
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese (or a combo), grated
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Take pie crusts out of the freezer and allow them to thaw slightly.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a large sauté pan and cook bacon over medium heat, until crispy. Add onions, garlic and chopped greens and allow to cook until greens are all the way wilted and onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Stir frequently so you don't burn the garlic! Add grated nutmeg and a dash of salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add to a large mixing bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Beat the 2 eggs and add to the greens mixture. Add the cheese and mix well.
Put one pie crust in a deep dish pie pan and make sure it is pressed well into the baking dish. Add filling and spread evenly. Add top layer of crust and seal the edges. Stab holes in the top of the pie with a fork or knife.
Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow pie to cool on baking rack for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with a green salad.