- 2 pounds chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons for vegetables
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut into 1-inch squares
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the 1/2 cup of olive oil, garlic, cilantro, mint, chili, cumin, jalapeño and 1 teaspoon salt and mix together. Add the chicken pieces and mix so that all the chicken is coated. Transfer to a gallon-size sealable plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
Prepare a medium hot fire on the grill or barbecue.
While the coals are heating, in a medium bowl, toss the vegetable pieces with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Alternate threading pieces of the chicken with the vegetable pieces on 8 skewers.
Grill for 16 minutes, turning each skewer a quarter turn every 4 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink in the center.