- 1 tube jumbo bake-off butter biscuits, such as Pillsbury brand Grands, from the dairy aisle of the grocery store,
- Sweet paprika, for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast pieces, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 ribs celery and greens from the heart, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded potatoes or ready to cook hash browns, available in sacks on the dairy aisle at the grocery store
- 1 pint half-and-half or cream
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (a healthy grating)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
Pre-heat oven according to package directions and arrange biscuits on cookie sheet. You will have four extra biscuits. Save them for ham and cheese or egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches the next morning. Sprinkle biscuits with a little paprika and bake for 10-12 minutes.
In a medium pot over medium to medium-high heat, cook chicken in butter two minutes, then add veggies and season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook five minutes more, add flour, then cook another minute. Add potatoes, then whisk in half-and-half or cream and chicken stock. Add nutmeg.
Bring soup to a boil by raising heat, then turn heat back to simmer and cook soup another 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings to your taste. Add peas. Stir in to warm them through, about a minute.
Serve in large mugs with the biscuits on top.