- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced on the bias
- 4 slices good-quality center cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or cream
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
Note: you will need toothpicks to prepare this recipe.
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Butterfly the chicken breasts by cutting across the breasts, but not all the way through. Open the breasts up and pound them lightly between parchment paper. Peel the paper away and season the meat with salt and pepper.
Cover the seasoned chicken cutlets with blue cheese crumbles, pecans and scallions in equal amounts. Roll the chicken, wrap each roll with bacon and secure with toothpicks. Season the outside of the rolls with salt and pepper.
Heat the EVOO in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken evenly all over, 5-6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a small baking sheet, place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes more.
Melt the butter in the same skillet pan the chicken was seared in over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock. Let thicken for a couple of minutes, then whisk in the half-and-half and grainy mustard, season with salt and pepper and reduce the heat to warm.
Halve the chicken rolls and stack them to show off their centers. Set the chicken in gravy or pour it over the top. Serve with rice and greens, if desired.