- 1 pound farfalle, bow ties
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 5 slices center cut bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 grated garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 tilapia fillets (6-8-ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 box frozen peas (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded or torn
Heat a pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook pasta to al dente.
Heat a deep large skillet with 1 tablespoon EVOO over medium-high heat. Add bacon and crisp 3-4 minutes. Add onions, garlic, bay leaf and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender but not browned, 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, crush them up with a wooden spoon and simmer 15 minutes on low heat.
Season the fish with salt and pepper. Dust fish with flour and shake off excess.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook fish 4 minutes on each side.
While fish cooks, stir peas into sauce, return to bubble and stir in mascarpone cheese. Adjust seasoning.
Remove fish from skillet to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Reduce heat to medium and add butter to pan. Brown butter, 2-3 minutes, stir in balsamic and simmer 1-2 minutes to reduce by half. Pour the brown butter and vinegar over fish.
Drain pasta, toss with sauce and wilt basil into pasta.
Serve fish with pasta alongside.