- 1 basic pie crust, store-bought is fine
- 6 eggs or 4 whole eggs and 2 egg whites
- 1 cup milk (any kind, but the higher fat the better)
- 2/3 cup half-and-half or cream
- 1 cup grated sharp cheese, such as Swiss, cheddar, Gruyère or crumbled feta
- A pinch of grated nutmeg (optional)
- A teaspoon of fresh thyme
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped and sautéed
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup cooked spinach, drained and patted dry and chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF.
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and add the milk and half-and-half or cream. Whisk together thoroughly and then stir in the shredded cheese and herbs.
Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake for 30 minutes. If the quiche still has a liquidy and jiggly center, bake for another 10 minutes. If firm, remove from the oven and allow it to cool slightly before serving. Quiche can be served at room temperature.
Tip: If your crust edges start to burn, wrap aluminum foil over the edges and keep cooking as instructed above.
Note: If you want to add any of the optional additions mentioned above, simply stir them in when you are adding the cheese, but reduce the amount of cheese by 1/2 cup so everything fits!